Purpose: This course is a Licensing requirement for applicants for a Special Rigger license.
Class Description: This 30-Hour Special Rigger Safety Training course is a licensing requirement for applications for a Special Riggers license with the NYC DOB. The New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) requires this course for anyone who supervises suspended scaffold projects on construction sites in New York City. During the course participants will develop the core management skills required to be an effective Licensed Special Rigger performing rigging operations, which contributes to the professional development of an individual and provides evidence of supervisory qualifications.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course. Students must be able to verbally communicate with instructor in primary language of the training. It is also recommended that students have experience in rigging operations, supervision and use of suspended scaffold systems.
Course Materials: This course consists of several different components which include power point presentations, lecture, real life case studies, class discussion and hands on demonstration. We will provide a student manuals, Hands-on demonstration, and in-class practical exercises.
- Learn how to navigate the New York City Department of Buildings website to select appropriate Building Codes, New York City Rules, Bulletins and applications.
- Differentiate between the OSHA standards and Chapter 33 of Building Code of New York City.
- Identify rigging equipment and its hazards
- Discuss Common causes of accidents with cranes and Rigging
- Apply 1 RCNY 104-20, 1 RCNY 104-21, 1 RCNY 104-22
- Identify unsafe conditions in the use of load binders
- Develop emergencies procedures during scaffold incidents
- Inspect rigging hardware and recognize unacceptable conditions
- Explain the proper use and limitations of the various rigging equipment and hardware (wire rope, synthetic slings, shackles, eyebolts, hooks, etc.)
- Explain safe working practices to consider when performing hoisting and rigging.
- State the proper hand signals used during lifting operations.
- Recognize Suspension Methods&Setup
- Calculate Mathematics of rigging, measurement, symbols, geometry, calculations, leverage, friction, fulcrum, center of gravity, uniform and concentrated loading.
Attendance and Course Policy: Students must earn a 70% or more in their final exam in order to successfully complete the course. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive NYC DOB APPROVED 30-HOUR SPECIAL RIGGER ID card. Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities.
A TRAINING INSTITUTE OF SITE SAFETY, LLC staff will be available to students and respond to any of their needs prior to, during, or after each training event. You may contact Maria Diaz Director of Training Development at 212-683-7200 during normal business hours or at 646.369.2311after hours and on weekends. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org